Earlier this year, Cygnus Instruments Ltd. launched their new range of ultrasonic thickness gauges that were designed and manufactured using a twin shot injection moulded enclosure, which has a soft but durable TPE outer skin, making them both comfortable and extremely durable, while the inner shell is strong, keeping the electronics totally sealed from the outside environments.
An excellent design
A panel of 38 member jury, from the Red Dot Award: Product Design 2015, awarded Cygnus with an ‘honourable mention’ for their excellent design of these new gauges and particularly well-executed aspect of design work. Products that convinced the jury with a well thought-out design solution are recognised with this distinction. The international experts discussed and assessed each of the 4928 entries from 56 countries, but only the designs that displayed high quality and innovative power were given an award.
Echo measuring modes
Following extensive customer engagement and working within industry standards, Cygnus developed the new range of ultrasonic thickness gauges that still use the well established multiple-echo technique for error-checked readings through coatings, but also incorporates single-echo and echo-echo measuring modes for obtaining measurements in areas of extreme corrosion or back wall pitting.
The range has achieved the toughest American Military Standard MIL SPEC 810G for environmental protection and consists of five new models offering an array of new features including:
- Large colour A-scan and B-scan display.
- Two types of data logging options: simple sequential data logging, or comprehensive data logging with features including Grid Format, offering 16 directional formats.
- Users can also add defined text comments, create templates and add radial measurements around a last logged measurement point.
- Manual gain control
- Bluetooth data transfer capability
- Vibrate alert to warn the operator when the measurement is out of tolerance
- MSITM (measurement stability indicator), which is used in single-echo and echo-echo modes.
This clever and simple technique samples returning echoes to ensure they are all identical, if the returning echoes are identical the display changes colour or format which indicates the reading is stable and reliable. While the new range from Cygnus offers many new features, the simple to use menu structure means that these gauges are quick to learn and simple to use.
Edited from various sources by Stephanie Roker