AAPG returns to Denver for the ninth time in the Association’s history for this year’s AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition, which will be held 31 May - 3 June in Denver at the Colorado Convention Center.
Exploring the Summit of Petroleum Geosciences
“Exploring the Summit of Petroleum Geosciences” is this year’s theme, and organisers have compiled a programme that features more than 900 technical presentations, 18 short courses and 13 field trips to present a comprehensive experience.
“Exploration and production activity in the greater Rocky Mountain region is emblematic of new paradigms in our science, making Denver the ideal city to host this meeting,” said ACE General Chair John Robinson.
“With a dynamic global energy climate, tighter budgets and an uncertain future, there’s no better time to invest in your professional development than now.”
ACE highlights will include:
- Hundreds of feet of core from major petroleum plays will be on display at the core poster sessions.
- Author Simon Winchester celebrating the 200th anniversary of “The Map That Changed the World” will be featured at the All-Convention Luncheon.
- Former US Geological Survey senior scientist (and AAPG member) Tom Ahlbrandt will be presenting this year’s Halbouty Lecture, “From Petroleum Scarcity to Abundance: Opportunities and Implications for the U.S. and the World.”
- Several special technical sessions will be held, including the next two installments of AAPG’s “Discovery Thinking” forum series – one on Global Discoveries, and one on North America Discoveries.
- A special “Town Hall Meeting” titled “The Department of Energy Crosscutting Subsurface Initiative: Adaptive Control of Subsurface Fractures and Flow.”
- Three Division luncheons are planned, offering topics such as Alberta’s Oil Sands, the “Evolution of Unconventional Oil Plays” and “Can Unbiased Science Prevail?”
- The opening session and awards ceremony, where the best of AAPG will be honoured. Among the honourees will be veteran geologist Paul “Mitch” Harris, who will receive the AAPG Sidney Powers Award, AAPG’s highest honour, and Alfredo Guzman, winner of this year’s Michel T. Halbouty Leadership Award.
- An exhibit hall featuring more than 250 companies who will display the latest in technology, science and services.
Written by Vern Stefanic, AAPG Communications Director. Edited for web by Cecilia Rehn.