The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate has granted Lundin Norway AS a drilling permit for well 16/1-24.
Well 16/1-24 will be drilled by the Island Innovator drilling facility at position 58°46’45.57’’ north 02°06’35.00’’ east in production licence 338 C.
The drilling programme for well 16/1-24 relates to drilling of a wildcat well in production licence 338 C. Lundin is the operator with an 80% ownership interest. The other licensee is OMV (Norge) AS with 20%.
The area in this licence consists of part of block 16/1. The well will be drilled southwest of the Edvard Grieg field in the central part of the North Sea.
Production licence 338 C was split from production licence 338 and awarded on 16 December 2014. This is the first exploration well drilled in the licence area.
The permit is contingent on securing other permits and consents required by other authorities before drilling activity starts.
Adapted from press release by Joe Green